Semantic MediaWiki Engineer (m/f/d)
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB), Hannover
The Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) is looking to employ a
Semantic MediaWiki Engineer (m/f/d)
to work in the Data Science & Digital Libraries Research Group (Prof. Dr. Sören Auer) at the next possible date.
The position is initially limited to three years with envisioned extension and possibility to make the position permanent. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
Possible work areas include (but are not limited to)
- Establishment and further development of a platform for scientific events such as conferences and workshops within the framework of the project “ConfIDent – A reliable platform for scientific events” funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Development of Semantic MediaWiki applications for research information management in the context of our Open Research Knowledge Graph and OpenResearch.org initiatives
- Configuration and development of Semantic MediaWiki and MediaWiki installations, applications and extensions
- Development of a SMW-based Knowledge-Management-System within the framework of information infrastructure projects of collaborative research centres (CRC) in the domain of engineering
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in Semantic MediaWiki and Web software engineering or related fields. You should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative applications and be interested in mastering complex challenges. You will be responsible to develop innovative and mature information services for the TIB stakeholders in Science and Technology.
- Successfully completed university degree (Master or comparable) in a relevant field such as Computer Science or Mathematics
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; Proficiency in German is a plus.
- Excellent proficiency in MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki development (esp. Web technologies, PHP, MySQL) and modern software engineering methodologies (esp. agile methods, DevOps)
- Experience and interest in user-centric design and modern Web UI development as well as crowdsourcing and collaborative community applications is a plus
- Familiarity with Semantic Technologies, Data Management, Human-Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics or Digital Libraries is an asset
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. Currently, there are five research groups in the department: Data Science and Digital Libraries, Scientific Data Management, Knowledge Infrastructures, Learning and Skills Analytics and Visual Analytics. Common to all research groups is the vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the Research Center L3S of Leibniz University Hannover within the framework of the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge - the L3S is one of the world's leading research institutes in the fields of Web & Data Science. Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Funding for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Candidates will work in the context of a national, European or international research and innovation project
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life, such as mobile work
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A salary in pay scale group 13 according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L)
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Prof. Dr. Sören Auer (auer(at)tib.eu).
How to apply
In addition to your CV, please include a letter of motivation (including technology interests) with your application. To submit your application, please use the application form on our homepage.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 60/2019 before January 5, 2020 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbung(at)tib.eu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life. It wants to promote equal career opportunities for women and men in particular and therefore urges qualified women to apply.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
For more information about the TIB, please visit: www.tib.eu/en/
We look forward to receiving your application!