PhD student position (m/f/d)
Leibniz-Institut für Nutztierbiologie (FBN), Dummerstorf
The Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN) based in Dummerstorf near Rostock, Germany, is a foundation under public law and a member of the scientific community Gottfried-Wilhelm Leibniz. The scope of the institute with about 300 employees is fundamental and applied research in the area of farm animal biology.
The Institute of Genome Biology is offering a
PhD position (male/female/divers)
For 2 years with possible extension
Reference number: 2020-07
The ideal candidate (m/f) should develop and use functional genomic approaches to investigate the function of metabolites, genes, proteins and signaling networks using systems biology approaches. Genomic, transcriptomic, metabolomic and/or chemical-biological technologies, as well as the identification of epi/genetic and molecular interactions using genome-wide screening approaches should be applied. The analyze of differential gene expression at the background of different genotypes and phenotypes using Next-Generation-Sequencing (NGS) techniques and bioinformatics tools will be done. Due to the large amounts of data generated by systems biology approaches, a robust expertise in the field of bioinformatics is desirable.
- Master’s degree, diploma or a comparable qualification in life sciences, biology, animal science, veterinary medicine or bioinformatics, biostatistics, biomathematics
- Programming skills in at least one programming language (R, Matlab, SAS, Java or Perl) and basic knowledge in the fields of in-silico analysis of molecular biological/genetic data, omics-data and metabolic pathways are advantageous
- Highly motivated team player and good knowledge of English (oral and written skills) is essential.
We are offering:
- Interesting and challenging research in a performance-orientated and family-friendly environment
- proper supervision and opportunity to participate in the structured doctoral training program of the FBN
- Modern research facilities and a strong focus on international collaboration
- Employment conditions according to the provisions of Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst der Länder (TV-L), remuneration at the level of 50% of salary grade 13 TV-L
- Pro-active support to facilitate integration into the new living environment and research culture.
We are an internationally-oriented research institute focusing on basic and applied research on the biology of domestic livestock. The Institute is committed to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are under-represented and suitably qualified women are encouraged to apply. Candidates with disabilities will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications and capacity to complete the project. We explicitly encourage applications from international candidates.
We regret that traveling expenses related to the application cannot be reimbursed. By submitting your application, you consent to the processing of your personal data for the purpose of the application procedure.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application (single pdf-file preferred) including the reference number, experience and reasons for interest in the position, current curriculum vitae and academic record, addresses of two referees and copies of relevant documents.
For more detailed information contact Dr. Siriluck Wimmers (s.wimmers@fbn‑dummerstorf.de).
We look forward to your application. Please send applications, including a detailed CV, copies of diplomas and certificates, list of publications and acquired grants, and the contact information of one reference either via e-mail or via post to:
Leibniz-Institut für Nutztierbiologie
Verwaltung (St.nr. 2020-07)
The selection process is starting now and will be continued until staffing.
Further information can be found under www.fbn-dummerstorf.de.